Former Sales Director Sees Beyond the Smoke and Mirrors

Written by TRACY on . Posted in Quitting Mary Kay, Sales Directors

A former Mary Kay sales director sees beyond the smoke and mirrors and shares her story with us. Can you relate?

You know…….. the more I read and hear about the leaders in this company who ultimately play on women’s hearts, minds and souls, the sadder I am. It is a shame that someone like Kathy Helou and others who are suppose to be “women of God” can continue to give women like us false hope.

The thing that saddens me most is that the MAJORITY of the women that get into this business do not have a support system at home! When you first get into Mary Kay…… you are “LOVED” by all these women that are in Mary Kay!

You are the BEST, CUTEST, MOST WONDERFUL thing since “chocolate pudding”.

You remain in their good graces until……… you aren’t making THEM any money or you decide for some reason whatever it be….. health, family, can’t stand the bullcrap anymore you are getting out…… you NEVER hear from them again.

You say to yourself, “where is my wonderful support group of Mary Kay friends and my national of all people who told me she was my friend?” Remember the one who has prayed with you and for you? Where is she? Oh, I know. She’s out there now praying with and for all those other poor unsuspecting women, kissing and ouie gooing all over them. What “CHARM” she has. If you think about it she’s like a snake charmer.

As you know, a large majority of these ladies dig themselves deeper into financial debt because they are told to “get a credit card, get a second mortgage, do what ever it takes to “buy” product”, they become more unstable mentally because they feel like failures when they don’t succeed at this “can’t win” dead end DREAM!

I got into Mary Kay to “Help” women, not make their lives more stressful! I honestly thought that God was opening this door for me and I think he did give me blessings by leading me to many of the truly wonderful women I’ve met that are my “Friends” no matter what.

Hard work is not a stranger to me but Mary Kay is the hardest job MENTALLY I have ever attempted, it was physically draining also, lugging around all the necessities to do whatever. I am forever so “sorry” if I have caused anyone more anguish in their lives because of my ignorance in thinking I could “Help” them by recruiting them into Mary Kay. It is a shame that alot of the leaders in Mary Kay are not what they profess to be. It is refreshing to look in the mirror and know that the women looking back at me is truly “me” and not some Mary Kay imposter.

You can bet that now ANYTIME I hear someone talking about trying out the Mary Kay lifestyle, I tell them to RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN and don’t stop. Birds of a feather flock together!!! That’s what I’ve always said. If it walks like a duck….talks likes a duck…..then it is a QUACKER!!!

Tags: ,

You know how we were told that God is “using Mary Kay”. The implication was that The Almighty set Mary Kay in place to give women an opportunity to be all they could be. I have since come to realize that that “ism” is utterly true. God IS using Mary Kay…

To expose hearts.

• montanafan

MaryKay is an epidemic in my church. I did not fall for it partly because I found PinkTruth. I have watched my friend and one other lady so far ‘fall from Grace’ (Directorship)
    My gosh how do women think this a good plan….its selling MAKEUP for goodness sake. How much makeup do women need. How could one every think you could make a good living selling makeup!? Dont get me wrong, I do not dought any of the stories here. I know MK is Cult like. And its a MLM company! Its all so bizzar!

• Sophie

what happens once you attempt to leave as a consultant? I understand you have to call the company so they can send you a paper form to send back your inventory and they also call your director to notify her. I want to call the company already and get it over with but I am seriously afraid of what my director will do. So sad isn’t it? I almost feel bad because she has been pretty nice to me for the past 3 months (thats when I signed up) but I do get angry when thinking about being pushed into ordering over 1000$ wholesale in products and how she almost did the same thing to my friend.
    I do think God was looking out for me because my friend was so interested in joining and so I had her sign an agreement 2 months ago (while I was still blinded by the pink fog, before I found this website) and even though I TOLD HER our director was going to push her to place a HUGE order but to only place a 200$ wholesale order to start off small, she still ended up being pushed and manipulated into placing a huge wholesale order. For the first time I felt so guilty and bad I didn’t understand WHY ON EARTH she didn’t listen to me! This is when I first started to see past the pink fog a little bit.
    But something great happened the next day, I got a phone call, text, and voicemail from my director telling me how the debit card my friend had used was rejected because she didn’t have enough money in her account. My friend told us she would have to wait for another 2 weeks until her next pay check but OFCOURSE our director couldn’t hear that. She was doing any and everything to get that order in by midnight, anything from asking people for money or using a credit card. Thank god by then my friend had realized something fishy was up and so had I, and even though we didn’t speak about it to each other she never ended up placing her order. I felt so horrible that she had wasted 100$ on the starter kit but atleast she didn’t end up in my situation.

• pinkfog_nomore

Sophie, what are you afraid of?? What is the worst thing that’s going to happen?? You won’t be friends with your director..? so what! do you really want to stay ‘friends’ with this woman that manipulated you, etc. Your director is not a professor, she’s not gonna fail you in a class, she’s not gonna come and murder you.. seriously, what’s there to be afraid of?? Are you really gonna absorb a $1000 debt just because you want to avoid conflict or you’re scared of you director, is it really worth a $1000?
      When I was quitting, I was worried that my director will put my name to shame at the meetings.. well about a month later most of the consultants I had any contact with still didn’t know I quit. It’s too embarrassing for a director to bring up that one of their consultants quit, it’s also negative talk and that’s a no-no in MK pink bubble. Unless someone specifically asked about me, my director said nothing to other consultants, and I was in for +/-15 months attending every meeting – people knew/remembered me!
      So as my bf would say “grow a pair” and do it! You’re a grown woman and this ‘business’ has nothing to do with your director (after all it’s YOUR business) so you must do what’s in YOUR best interests. Go!!

• Lazy Gardens

Sophie –
      Remember this: your contract is with Mary Kay Corporation, not the director. She is neither your employer nor your supervisor. There is no exit interview required, and she basically can’t stop you unless you let her.

Yes, she will attempt to call you and persuade you not to return product … you are under absolutely no obligation to answer her calls or e-mails.

If she manages to contact you, just say this, “Sending my product back and leaving Mary Kay is in my best interest and the best interest of my family. Please respect my decision.

Then hang up. If she calls you back, repeat that phrase and hang up again.

• exIBC78

Sophie, listen to your heart. Call…now…stop reading and call. 900 bucks in your pocket would be awesome right now right?

• Now You Know The Truth

A list of 350 MLM (multi-level marketing companies) scroll down to page 7-30 & 7-31.

Over 350 of the leading MLMs. The answers are not pretty. Its endless chain of recruitment of participants as primary customers – is flawed, unfair, and deceptive. Worldwide feedback suggests it is also extremely viral, predatory and harmful to participants.

Caution: Don’t accept the argument by promoters that success in MLM recruitment costs little or nothing. New MLM recruiters will soon start getting the cold shoulder from friends and relatives and have to recruit elsewhere. Again, anyone who climbs the ladder in the compensation plan must spend not only a great deal of time, but a considerable amount of money to be successful.

As a general rule, the more a new recruit invests in an MLM program, the more he or she loses. This, of course, is true of most any scam.

• Nikki

The first time I sold Mary Kay I had this exact experience. It wasn’t at all about helping women realize their true beauty and sharing the word of God. It was about making money. Period. After a couple of years I was still using the product becaue I did really like it and asked a friend how her area sales people were and if she regretted joining. She said she was really happy and so I asked to attend some of the meetings with her just to get a feel for the tone of the group. What a relief! These were actually God fearing women who just truly wanted to help. I’ve been selling MK for a year now under a new group and it is so much better. Unfortunately, it’s true, all too often MK saleswomen are pushing, greedy, vendictive women, liking you only for what you can offer them. Call Sophie and get out. If your gut is telling you something and if your experience is only negative run! No job is worth that.

• Laura

I don’t see how the answer is just “moving to a new group of MK-ers.” Either way, you still have quotas, your director still needs to make production to keep her status, and still has to keep recruiting at the same rate to stay ahead… the fact that they’re “nicer” women doesn’t change any of the above.

• NeverWasPink

yeah, it’s like thanking your mugger for giving you a nice hug as they grab your wallet out of your pocket…

• Sammy

Please Help!

What if all I purchased was the Starter Kit?

I may have changed my mind after reading all this. ughh…I paid $100.

What now? Can I just keep my stuff or what are my options?

• agirl

I know that mary Kay isn’t for everyone. It sounds like most who have something bad to say really had someone above them who didn’t treat them well. Unfortunately, those people give the rest of them a bad name.
    The people I am under tell me I can do as little or as much as I want and they mean it! I have gone inactive 2 times do to family, personal and job obligations. They never judged me, they would call to see if I was ok and not one time mention my business.
    Some people know how to put on a show for others, and some are genuine people.
    I was never told to get a credit card or do “what ever it takes”. I was allowed to make my.decision. and do what I wanted. I have been successful as I want to be right now.
    I am sorry to all of you who where put to the side and forgotten about. It breaks my heart.

For the girl with the starter kit, you don’t have to call the.company, just don’t anyhing. Over time you go inactive and if you never did an order to activeate yourself, then you aren’t active. Use your products or give then away as gifts.

• TRACY

Sorry, but we’ve heard the “one bad apple” argument many times, and it isn’t true. The company is full of corrupt people (who don’t even realize they’re corrupt, most of the time) because the very process of recruiting at any level requires people to mislead and withhold information. I have yet to find one sales director who didn’t make it to sales director without cheating. It’s impossible to stay a sales director without the recruiting and deception required to bring in new large inventory orders.

For the girl with the starter kit, call the company and have them terminate you. If you don’t, there’s a reasonable chance that your director will someday “activate” you to help meet a goal, and you’ll still be on the books. Better to be off the books and completely done with this awful company.

• Kara

I agree with everything everyone has said. My director and recruiter were great as long as I was selling and making them money. We would always be together and in touch with each other. The minute my life changed in a direction that didn’t include Mary Kay, it was total disconnection from the people involved in the “pink bubble.” I still see them on occasion because some of the true friends I made invite them to functions and it always amazes me that they “miss me so much” yet can’t bother to associate with me outside of Mary Kay.

I think the final straw for me was when my director did our make up for one of my best friend’s weddings (I was a bridesmaid). I hadn’t seen or talked to her in months, and she was asking how I was doing. Well, it came up in conversation that I was expecting my first child and immediately the conversation turned to “don’t you want to be able to spend more time with the little baby of yours?” YES! That’s why I quit trying to sell the product! It seriously sickened me because at one point I thought this woman was truly a woman of God and someone who truly wanted only the best for me. I cannot fathom how one person can be so selfish. manipulative, and deceitful. I thank God everyday that I completed my college degree and that he revealed the true nature of some of my fellow “colleagues.” I couldn’t sleep at night if I recruited girls in the fashion they wanted me to so it was time for us to part ways.

• Oney

Yay Tracy!

@agirl: You haven’t read enough to figure out what we’re about here. Keep reading.