Mary Kay Myth: I Took God As My Business Partner

Written by TRACY on . Posted in Mary Kay Myths

Written by SuzyQ

This is a favorite line used often in the context of seminar speeches and uplifting motivational “I stories” to answer the question “How did she do it?”

Let’s talk about that a little.  The “god” that is used in Mary Kay is a little different than the One we were taught to worship.  Mary Kay’s god has an amazing facility to “bless” unethical, immoral and dishonest practices.  Mary Kay’s god blesses Cadillacs, recruiting pitches, skin care classes, unit clubs, top director trips, seminar openings, and warm chatting adventures.

This god places sharp women in people’s paths, presses other people’s names on one’s heart, gives lists of people to call for classes and interviews, views prosperity and name it and claim it as a divine birthright, and last but not least, holds Mary Kay in the palm of his hand.  This “god” understands the necessity of selling the sizzle, so if that director’s check you wave around and let it be understood that this is your normal monthly check, it’s OK, because some day it will be your real monthly check.

This god allows women to frontload others with inventory, distorts the recruiting interview, allows lies by omission and often out-right lies.

Mary Kay’s god doesn’t worry about the process so much as the outcome, and those who are find a way, make a way sort of women, are “blessed” more than those who express concern or doubt.  This “god” supports dumping the non-supportive spouse, letting friends go who don’t get it, encourages shunning of those who have left the company, and doesn’t allow questioning.

This “god” endorses interesting payment plans for products, allows agreements to be falsified, and smiles down at the winners of the cars and the courts at seminar.  Frowns from this god are reserved for those who didn’t believe, trust and stretch to make it to the sacred stage. In short, this “god” has very fluid, flexible and situation-dependent values.

Now, looking at this objectively as I can, this appears to be much ado about nothing.  Nothing more than a silly company with silly leaders and silly events.  Maybe.

Except, the reality for many is incredible pain, confusion and profound guilt.  Where did this information come from?  The nationals.  Mary Kay’s daughters who are passing on her legacy.  I don’t know whether Mary Kay herself is ultimately accountable, or, if many of the nationals decided to practice their own style of preaching on their areas independent of her blueprint for her company.

Where else can a person hear that The Secret is Christian, because you are asking the universe for this or that, and God created the universe, so it’s same thing same thing?  Or that the Prayer of Jabez was referencing unit and area size?  The Golden Rule?  It now means that the way you treat your nsd and your director is the way you will be treated when you attain those positions.  That Creflo Dollar, Joel Osteen, Paula White, Joyce Meyer, Jack Canfield, etc. etc. are speaking directly to the Mary Kay sales force.  That “Name it and Claim it” is a viable spiritual belief?  That Mary Kay is a Christian mission field?  That pink Cadillacs are a way to attract people to God?  That materialism and the excesses displayed so frequently are also a way to attract people to God? That the Mary Kay sales force is the only “bible” some people may read?

And negativity.  Any negativity, any questioning of business practices, any concern, introduces the devil, the “enemy,” the darkness that is pressing on your heart and stealing your dream.  If I had a quarter for every time I heard the phrase “Speak no negativity” I could retire my entire MK debt in one payment.

And the phrase “Be too dumb to doubt.”  Or “God equips the called, he does not call the equipped” is a reference about becoming a Mary Kay beauty consultant?  “Don’t give voice to your doubts?”  “Step out in faith, not fear?”  So many phrases conscripted and distorted by Mary Kay nationals.

And the one that struck terror in me personally was “You are just a baby Christian” with the implication I wasn’t working hard enough, didn’t believe enough and would never achieve any sort of success unless I believed the way this national did.  Oddly enough, this was during a directors only Bible study she led and I learned it was OK to pray for production and new red jackets.  We could also specify how many stars we wanted to bring in the next month.

The end result of all of this distortion and deception is incredible pain in one’s very soul.  If one loses faith in Mary Kay, it follows that one loses faith in God.  If spiritual success is measured by trips, cars and production, many are lacking.  If God is not blessing, then He is punishing.

If God has led you to Mary Kay and you are not successful, you are more than a business failure, you are spiritually bankrupt.  The only answer remaining to you is to immerse yourself more in Mary Kay.  To work harder, to believe more, to trust the process more, to do so many things more and better, and if still, there is no change, it’s back to spiritual bankruptcy.

It’s one thing to make money by hook or by crook.  It’s quite another to use God as a means to that end.  The shame and guilt that many of us felt as we let God down, yet again, should instead be laid directly on the shoulders of the nationals who perpetuate this religious abuse.

Note to nationals: Practice whatever sort of religion that is popular with you now, in your own homes. Do not inflict it on your areas.  Mary Kay is not a church; it is a skin care and cosmetics corporation.  Your area is not your congregation; it is comprised of the women who pay your bills.

If you are going to quote Scripture, how about putting it into context?  Better yet, leave the Scripture to those who are ordained, and leave your “god” out of it. Teach your areas how to sell the product you insist they order.   It’s the right thing to do.  Try it.

• 4:8 girl

Well-written SuzyQ! This is actually one of the main reasons that I left, early on in DIQ. Call it a conviction, call it conscience. Either way, I’m grateful to be out & to be free. :)

Partnership is a two-way street. What evidence do you have that God has accepted YOU as a business partner?

Or, maybe, my problem is that your definition of “god” is a little different than mine. Let’s see… Your “god” advocates exaggeration of earnings claims, “fake it til you make it,” empty promises, emphasis on material possessions, financial abuse, omission of critical information, refusal to address objections, and shunning of people who dare to question.

I only know of one “god” which does that: one with pointy teeth, ears and tail who carries a pitchfork. But when he dresses up to go out on the town he looks sooooooo suave…

They were able to capture and hold women in this manner because it all appeared that they showed a “blessed” life. Plenty of money, priorities in order, time with family, blessing to husband…Proverbs 31 woman.

Who would ever expect that it wasn’t true? Lines of Directors at guest events parrot the same success stories, for the purpose of recruiting…reinforcing the illusion. Highest check? 8,000.00… But it was 19 years ago…never gets mentioned…and neither do the chargebacks taken out of that figure.If they said highest average check, well now that would be a true picture and utterly dismal to the crowd.

It’s just amazing how their behavior is so justified and claimed to be Godly when it is clearly the opposite!

• Scrib

“Mary Kay’s god has an amazing facility to “bless” unethical, immoral and dishonest practices.”

Indeed, do you think God blesses practices such as:

1. Explaining only the top three levels of inventory to new consultants

“Small orders handicap new consultants. $3600, $3000, $2400 – these are the three (inventory) levels to explain.” ~NSD Stacy James

2. Pushing inventory on new consultants.

“Pull inventory as soon as they sign. Have a sense of urgency.” ~NSD Dacia Wiegandt

3. Lying to consultants in an effort to keep them showing “positivity.”

“Your attitude MUST always be positive! One of the reasons you can be terminated as a Consultant is for NEGATIVISM.” ~NSD Rena Tarbet

4. Guilting consultants into recruiting.

“…if you choose not to move forward in any level, you then rob everybody of their dream. EVERYBODY of their dream, not just me the National, you rob everybody of the dream.” ~NSD Gillian Ortega

5. Stealing customers from your sister consultants and turning them into your recruits (and claiming that consultants who don’t recruit are wrong for wanting to make money/not wanting competition in their areas.)

“I truly believe in Golden Rule Thinking, but there are two sides to it. There are some consultants who NEVER will ask ANY of their customers to consider joining Mary Kay! That is because they are thinking that they want ALL of the 50% for themselves, and do not want any recruits or competition in their areas. It is NOT Golden Rule Thinking to never offer them the opportunity!” ~NSD Anita Garrett-Roe

Is Mary Kay a “God First” company? How about no?

You know, I love how this site’s so called “negativity” is actually displayed, by using the literal WORDS of the upper sales leadership.

Turn away Lurker! Protect yourself from the venom of Pink Truth! We wouldn’t want you to be influenced by the very words of your own Nationals.

Scrib, You Rock.

• gotheart

God can not ever be a partner, insinuating an equal.

He is God, Jesus Christ, Savior of souls and was the ultimate sacrifice on the cross.
    I would never take Him as my partner. Are you kidding? He is my savior, my creator, the Father, the lawgiver, the creator of the universe!
    He is the beginning the end, the God of all!

It is so embarrassing to see in print “take God as my partner”. OMG!
    Never take God as your partner. Take Him as your Savior. The King of kings. It is a heart motive, not a business transaction.

The way to the Father is through the Son. We are talking everlasting life here folks!
    No mention of “partnership in Mary Kay Cosmetics”, ya with?

His Truth Reigns

• PinkPhoenix

Amen! ‘Nuff said!

• disturbedsister

My sister believes that she is in MK because she is bringing women to God (through lipstick and high heels). I’ve told her a few times that MK exists to make money and people are in it to (not) make money. This is not church coffee hour. Of course I’m “negative”.

• drea916

In addition to all of the above comments, I’d like to add that it really chaps my hide when people say things like those in the article. It makes Christians sound so stupid. There are Christians that are savvy business folks, who don’t have to insert God into every convo, or hit people over their head with Scripture verses…and they very much love the Lord!

• LenoraJ

To be honest, I am thinking of becoming a MK consultant. I think that those who succumb to this MK “god” is weak. I’m sorry but I’m very spiritally secure and I know who Yahweh is. I’m not going to work for MK, but have MK work for me. I’ll be attending comsmotology school in a few months and I see MK as a move to make money on the side, but not my primary source of income. Maybe I’m being a little ignorant and naive….Maybe not but for those who’ll reply to this please use constructive criticism or don’t comment.

• A Reader

Disclaimer: I have never sold Mary Kay, but I’ve been a follower of this blog for well over a year now. On that basis, if you were my daughter and asked for my opinion, I’d ask you: Do you plan to buy inventory, or order as needed?

If you order as needed, will you have enough of a customer base to keep ordering the amount of product required to keep your status active in MK?

If you plan to carry prepaid inventory and then attempt to sell it, have you scouted the market? For example, do you know how many competing MK consultants live in your area? Have you checked Craigslist regularly to see how often ex-consultants try to sell off their remaining product at cost (below what you’ll be selling it for)?

I’m not trying to talk you out of something, if you really want to try it. I just question the possibility of making rather than losing money with Mary Kay. Please take some time to browse this site and see why so many have bailed out of Mary Kay. At least give yourself a chance to make an informed decision before you sign up.

• enorth

“I’ll be attending comsmotology school in a few months and I see MK as a move to make money on the side.”

Cosmetology is an honorable profession. Unfortunately, you won’t make money in MK, even if it’s “on the side.”

• Scrib

LenoraJ, you’re not ignorant or naive; you’re simply not aware of the workings of the business is all. I don’t mean that in a bad way, either; my husband is a jet mechanic, and I know little about the workings of HIS business. Note: Do not fly in any aircraft I’ve attempted to repair; it WILL save your life. ;)

I would encourage you to take your time browsing through the site; I think you’d find the “Frequently Asked Questions”section under the “Welcome” tab to be of help. I can offer these tidbits as well:

1. The primary moneymaker for a Mary Kay business is recruiting, not selling the makeup; Mary Kay consultants CANNOT get promoted (and thus make more money) unless they recruit women.

2. Inventory packages range from $200 clear up to $4800 (although I’ve seen higher). You will be told that you NEED inventory if you want to be successful, and the pressure tactics to get you ordering it are not only legion, but off the charts. This is one of the biggest financial traps MK has to offer.

3. Know that MK works for no woman, my friend. It demands that women work for IT on ITS terms. Mary Kay consultants are bound by a number of rules; they cannot sell the product any way they wish, cannot sell or will their MK business to kin, cannot advertise as they please, will not receive any sort of insurance benefits, and can be fired by MK Corporate if Corporate sees fit.

I hope you find Pink Truth helpful in your search for information; be blessed! :)

• Lazy Gardens

That statement is just another version of “I’m going to do it the ‘right way” not like you fools did” …

There is no way you can get Mary Kay to “work for you” because the rules and regulations are stacked to make that impossible.