Why Would a Top Director in Mary Kay Quit?

Written by TRACY on . Posted in Mary Kay Opinions

This is the story of a former top director in Mary Kay who was nearing NSD status. See why she gave it all up.

I was in Mary Kay for 12 years and  a top director for 10 of those 12 years.  We finished $450,000 unit club our first year as a unit and never did less. Our highest year was almost $900,000. Always in a Pink Cadillac, never missed production, never made a car payment. We recruited about 20 a month to have the numbers.

I did debuts for all new consultants and sold on average of about $600 and booked their Power Starts at the debut plus recruited at least 1 or 2 at the debuts. I worked REALLY, REALLY hard. I was careful to work my business ethically and enjoyed the 6 figure income.

So why did I quit?????

About 2 years before I quit, I started to look at my life and felt conflicted over the time  and energy I was giving to my business… I started to realize that MK had become my whole life.  I thought about it on vacation, in church, in bed etc.  I thought about the next recruit, the debuts, the guest events.  The month always consisted of having so much in and so many in by the 15th to wrap up $25,000 to $30,000 by month end. Month after month, year after year. I guess you can say I got burned out.  I got tired of looking at everyone as a prospect or a business opportunity.

My best friend and I always talked about our business and worked together for years.  We were always careful not to be negative to each other.  Then one day we both were finding ourselves in the same place at the same time…. Our units were doing great, we only had a little to go to finish National areas, but we just couldn’t do it.

I met with my pastor and sought Godly advice.  He told me that God was simply re-directing me and that was okay.

The transition was hard, but as MK has always taught us that the pain of regret is harder than the pain of change.  I didn’t want to look back on my life and regret not being there for my family.

I thank the Lord for re-directing me when he did, and not 20 years later.  I quickly started a new career and began enjoying life without MK.  I feel like everyone on Pink Truth is a friend and I just wanted to finally say hello and God bless Tracy for having the courage to do this.

• 4:8 girl

Wow! What an eye-opener from someone at the top. I appreciate her candidness & honesty. We can’t change what’s been done, but we can move on in a different direction, actually truly living out our priorities. I was in for many years & quit “cold turkey” in Jan while in my 1st month of DIQ. Absolutely no regrets & complete freedom in so many ways.

“I met with my pastor and sought Godly advice. He told me that God was simply re-directing me and that was okay.” I love that! Re-directing! Not losing our dream/vision as MK directors would have others believe.

• Modern girl

Just curious…what are the qualifications to become a “top director”?

• gotheart

Expert “front loader”
      Narcissistic
      Ability to embellish
      Lies by omission of important facts
      Predatory tendencies toward emotionally abused prospects

These are a few of “Top Directors” qualifications.

• PinkfanbutnoMKfan

Exactly what my old director was… Also helps to have wealthy husband….

• alurker

To be a “Top Director” your Unit does at $650,000 retail in a year.

Well, nobody’s unit does 650,000 a year! Ya have to remember, its DOUBLED wholesale and it isn’t sold. But yea, the “top” usually begins at extended trip- 850,000 retail…a “trip” director is 650K, and the “ring” is at 500K.

• pinkiu

I imagine that day in and day out treadmill of trying to keep up with recruits and orders is just mind-numbing. I was considered a “lazy loser” because I didn’t want to recruit. I just can’t imagine how constantly frustrating all the “nos” get, the chargebacks, the fake smiles, and on and on and on.

• Lazy Gardens

We recruited about 20 a month to have the numbers.

20 a month for 10-12 years … that’s 2400-2800 recruits!

How many of them were actually making money all that time?

Just another story about filling the bathtub with the drain open.

It took me nearly 15 years to actually intellectually grasp that statement.
    If Mary Kay was not a never ending hamster wheel, then what was it? How could it be anything but?! IF the business was what they said it was, all the Units would grow and grow from all their success, instead of always being in 20 per month replacement mode to stay dead even!

Wanna know why you’re exhausted?? You are treading water feverishly trying to stay afloat while Mary Kay skims their profits and production off your efforts.

Just like slots, we pull the lever every month waiting for the pay off, never quite getting ahead. The House always wins.

• Deflated Pink Bubble

This former director is the exception and NOT the rule. She ran that hamster wheel and actually made it work for as long as she could. Not every director would be able to achieve what she did.

What a self-serving. In the end it is still all about her. It was always all about her. The only regret she has is for working overtime and not being available for her kids. Criminey.

Can someone explain why I’m supposed to agree that what she did was “ethical”? Over the course of those 10 years she peddled well over 5 million in MK inventory to her consultants. I don’t see a word of regret in that entire tome about all the consultants who were stuck with thousands of dollars of unsellable inventory and credit card debt.

So she “retires” from MK with enough $$$ on hand to stay home with her kids. Must be nice. What about all the consultants she recruited who listened to her “inventory” guidance and now can NOT stay home with THEIR kids, because they have to work two jobs to pay off their Mary Kay debt?

• Lazy Gardens

So she “retires” from MK with enough $$$ on hand to stay home with her kids.

And where do you see that?

• Kammy

I was wondering the same thing. She said she left and changed careers, but that she was pleased not to have to be always thinking of MK anymore. Yes, I too would’ve liked to see some recognition of the harm she caused to the vast majority of those 20 monthly recruits, but she didn’t say she retired from MK wealthy.

You’re right. I see that her last paragraph says she started a new career. At the top, however, she says that while in MK she “never missed production, never made a car payment.” The whole message in her letter is “I was successful. I was swimming in MK cash but didn’t have time for my family.” That statement could have been made by many successful businessmen and women who work 60+ hours a week.

What’s missing is the recognition that the reason she was swimming in MK cash was that she successfully financially abused so many women. Recruiting “20 a month” for 10 years, and “doing” $450,000 to $900,000 per year means she convinced some 2,400 women to collectively purchase – and not return – over $5 million in MK inventory over those 10 years. There’s not a snowball’s chance in you-know-where that all those recruits in the same geographic area were able to sell more than a fraction of those purchases.

She was successful in MK, but the cost of that success was far, far higher than simply not having enough time for her kids. I hope she acknowledges that someday.

• Tiamet

I’m actually wondering if this is a cleverer than usual KayBot plant. Instead of ‘lazy loosers (sic)’, ‘didn’t work your business’, [insert usual slur of your choice], you’ve got someone saying that you can make a good living from Mary Kay in an ethical way but it will take hard work.

If I’d read this and hadn’t read the rest of the site, I’d assume success in Mary Kay was more than possible but required a lot of effort, which I would only expect for a 6 figure salary.

If this was a genuine confession of remorse, as others have already said, I’d expect some recognition of the damage done to the downline. How is it ethical to wreck so many people’s lives?

Also, 6 figures? I assume this is before expenses. I’d be very interested to know the net figure and also how many of the necessities of life (insurance etc.) are being provided by the husband’s job. My original thought with this figure was to ask whether we were including the numbers to the right of the decimal point.

• enorth

“I’m actually wondering if this is a cleverer than usual KayBot plant.”

I thought this story was suspicious, too. Top director, six-figure income, only had a little way to go for National, etc.

• PinkHooker

Good for you for walking away!! I don’t see this as bragging or even a confession of remorse, and i see it as very up front with being part of the 2% that ARE successful in the MLM world. Yes, 2% really ARE that successful, and it wears at them.

Sure, she doesn’t talk about the lives she probably helped ruin, that wasn’t the topic she was discussing. Not everyone is ready to see the damage when they choose to end their career with MLM, all they see is yes they did ‘make it’. I’m just glad she finally re-directed herself and chose a new path.

My first EESSD was only a few production months away from NSD when she chose a new path within her Church’s ministry, and what i kept up on her units, it seems they all pretty much fell apart on their own.