Welcome to our Peer to Peer Interactive Vertically Aligned Retail Cooperative

Written by Raisinberry

One of the reasons you are kicking yourself for joining Mary Kay is, you knew it was suspect from the beginning. You felt it in your gut but you swept that idea aside because you fell for the charisma and sincerity of your “presenter.”

One of reasons you successfully got guests to attend, is because you did not tell them the total truth, because if you did they would resist your invitation. You know this. You cheerfully called guest events by any other name besides recruiting meeting. Your first was innocent, being naïve and all, but eventually you figured it out… and bait and switch no longer bothered you.

As mentioned in the Dreams Drive and Deception article, the small seemingly insignificant “little white lies” do a slow indoctrinational assault on your integritythat one hardly notices.  We here at Pink Truth are chastised  for “not taking responsibility” for our “lack of integrity” and I have to say we do own 50% of that issue.

You knew it was wrong to allow upper vertically aligned peers to influence you to do questionable things in the name of “salesmanship” and “leadership.” You believed their advice, used their scripts, and silenced your negative concerns. We own all of our responses to their influence. But a company that knows exactly how these production numbers are achieved, and what the vertically aligned peer to peer input has been, and looks the other way because the income potential is too great, and total truth costs profit dollars, owns a piece of it too.

The greatest attribute of a human being in an advertised “godly environment” would be that human’s trust. Ironically, trust turns out to be our greatest weakness. Since some want us to believe that Mary Kay could not be responsible for the deception we have fallen into, I guess we can be thankful that this character defect of “trust” has been made aware to us. We can now be assured that no human entity or organization declaring itself to be a God first, family second, career third proposition should be trusted. So be it. Lesson learned. Thank you Mary Kay.

It still begs the question though, how even from the beginning we understood that  full disclosure – “honest communication” would not create the “success” we were looking for. Some examples:

• Don’t say “dollars”… just say the number  “just 104”
  • Say “practice face” instead of sales appointment, she might not book, otherwise.
  • Say, “you plus two”, that seems small and you can add more when pre-profiling.
  • Call everyone in the fishbowl and tell them they won the free facial.
  • Say, “I was challenged by my Director” even though technically you weren’t, it makes people want to help you.
  • Use “yes answer” questions, they make the prospect agree with you, instead of finding out what they really think.
  • Use a choice between two things instead of asking a yes or no, like, would you want to take home the Miracle Set or the Ultimate Miracle set? Asking a direct question will many times get you a “no.”
  • You’re not “recruiting”, you are building a “team”… business associate is so much better!

Now, at this point, every sales person will object saying, these are just normal sales techniques and help control the presentation. But I ask you, when did sales manipulation become the “norm”?

Professional salespeople listen and discover where their product will benefit the consumer, not manipulate them with partial information and phoney 1960’s sales gimmicks. Feel, Felt, Found is as old as the hills and few consumers have not heard it.

Real honest dialogue with a customer is not taught in Mary Kay because the whole of the sales training program is steeped in manipulation and passed down quips. If Sales Directors were actually out in the field USING the very information they teach, they would have discovered this already. “Would you rather splurge for that extra touch of class that comes from earning the Director’s suit, or would just wearing the red jacket be more of what you had in mind tonight?” Change the quip and the manipulation screams at you, doesn’t it?

What do they really teach? That honest communication will not get results. That faced with the truth in its entirety, their desired objectives will not be met. Mary Kay is NOT a multi-level, when it surely is. Mary Kay does not have downlines, when truly they do. Mary Kay is about selling products to customers, when actually very little of that goes on and MK has no retail figures to back up this claim. Mary Kay is not a pyramid, when an NSD and her organizational structure shows a peer to peer interactive vertically aligned wholesale cooperative, that looks remarkably like a pyramid.

The simple truth is, that from start to finish, sales presentation to meeting invite, orientation to directorship, all Mary Kay consultants are engaged in some form of deception that they have come to accept as “normal” and “acceptable.” This is how deceptive practices begin to escalate. When you aren’t even able to state your business aims directly but must cloak them in “Ladies Night Out,” “Pizza and Possibilities,” “Model Searches”…  all designed to suck women in unawares to a “marketing”? No – It is a RECRUITING speech, you are steeped in the deception and dull witted to that truth.

Because those of us here at PinkTruth have shouted, “ENOUGH!”, we have exposed the game and practices that others are still engaging in. Our exposure is their pain, because they think that we are hurting their success and their reputations. They accuse us of a lack of integrity while they still refer to Mary Kay as a dual marketing venture, a number one selling brand, still use bait and switch guest invitations, manipulative sales ploys, and fail to fully disclose to their downlines, all that it really takes to succeed. They still buy $3 rings from Whitney and pretend they are expensive.

They still keep their earnings secret and never reveal that they co-pay for they car. They still stand at guest events telling their “high check,” and they still try and get the highest wholesale order they can from people they know have too much stock on their shelves already. You have to love the hypocrisy.

I imagine those integrity-chocked Directors and beauty consultants who blame us for our “fall,” do things differently than what we were taught to do. I bet when they have a conversation with their consultants, or a guest they are inviting, and she asks them if this is a recruiting event… they always say, “Yes.” I bet they always tell the names from the fishbowl that they all won. I bet they always order only what they sell no matter if the Unit is crashing, or the NSD’s trip is at stake, or their car production has dropped, or the contest, luncheon, name badge ribbon, leadership party or company contest is at stake.

I bet they never use “scripts,” distort facts, repeat exaggerated sales achievements. I bet they don’t use ordering gifts as a ploy for more wholesale at all! Why they probably call the company and put a stop on the orders of consultants who are attempting to finish “star” on their credit cards-not on their sales!

We here at Pink Truth accept the responsibility for continuing on long into the quagmire of deception. We are guilty. We trusted and we denied our own reality. We have started to see how we slipped and fell. And we stopped and we are out, or are getting out. Plus, we don’t want our people “sitting at the feet” of those who continue to deceive. Now, Miss Integrity…  how about you?

7 Responses to Welcome to our Peer to Peer Interactive Vertically Aligned Retail Cooperative

1. Neverbeenpink June 24, 2014 at 7:41 am #

Ironically, trust turns out to be our greatest weakness.

Boom. Nailed it. From my involvement with other MLM’s, this pretty much sums it up.

2. Sapphire June 24, 2014 at 11:23 am #

Well Raisenberry => How Eloquently Put.

Basically, there is no integrity unless you stand in integrity,. As the saying goes “If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything.”

I say => Let’s stand for the truth and ditch the lies by omission, the white lies (big and small), the deceptions, misnomers, illusions, euphemisms, and “silent gestures” which allow the unsuspecting to make questionable decisions.

It is NOW Time to Tell the Pink Truth. And Stand by it.

• Julie S June 24, 2014 at 6:56 pm #

I am in the process of selling back my inventory, as I posted elsewhere on an older post, and recently wrote out what I would like to tell my Director. Here is most of it, and I apologize that it is so long but I feel the need to post it so others can learn why yet another IBC is resentful of the “Mary Kay Opportunity.” Much will likely sound familiar to those of us who believed at one time and realized what we were actually involved with:

“Dear Director,

Now that I have made a decision to return my products, I can definitely say that I agree with the things on Pink Truth and feel manipulated and lied to by omission. Here are the specific things I have a problem with and why I ultimately quit:

1. Being told that you only need $100 investment to start, that there are no quotas, and the “inventory” experience – this is the biggest issue for me.

First of all, there are definitely quotas – if you want to remain active, there is a quota. If you want to be a Director, NSD, etc., there are quotas. This is not a true statement.

Secondly, the company (and Sales Directors) encourage new recruits to buy inventory immediately – as much as they can scrape together, borrow, etc. While I understand the concept of having product on hand for customers, I think the primary reason inventory is pushed is that Directors on all levels have enormous pressure to recruit as many people as possible and get them to buy a large inventory in order to hit their commissions and production quotas so they can stay Directors or move up. This inventory purchase is likely what makes the company continue on, as the company only views its “sales” by what consultants purchase – not by actual customer sales.

As for my inventory, I felt basically screwed once people from my debut started booking parties. Between what was ordered for me and the flyers handed out to people at my party, this is what I experienced:

– I had a ton of products that nobody has ever been interested in even looking at (i.e. Botanical Effects, ClearProof, individual products that normally come in sets, brush cleaner, etc.) while the products people really wanted (i.e. color cosmetics) were lacking in my first order.

– The flyers advertised all those different party themes using products that were also not in my inventory – this led to immediate pressure to buy color cosmetics, masks, eye gels, etc.

– Since people kept asking to try out products I had only one of at parties, I then felt pressure to buy all the sample products possible in order to stop taking retail products off my shelves. Hardly any of that was provided in the beginning as well.

I didn’t even have my own color foundation in the first order that you put together for me – between that oversight and the amount of inventory I had which nobody ever wanted to try, I questioned what motive or thought process went behind ordering these things for me. Was it intentionally set up to make me spend more of my own money? Once I held a few parties and saw what I was lacking vs. what I had, it made me question my trust of you as my Director (and certainly as my friend).

2. Being told this is NOT a pyramid scheme

This company is most certainly a pyramid scheme, it doesn’t matter where your commissions come from. If your income and title is directly influenced by how many people you recruit, it is a pyramid, plain and simple.

3. Being told to continuously pressure friends, family, and strangers into holding parties, listening to recruitment phone messages, attend events designed to make people sign up right now, etc.

This is something I never could do comfortably. The reason is not because of irrational fear, or lack of motivation to succeed, but rather because it is annoying to people and wrong. I would never be considered “successful” in Mary Kay because I would have forever refused to keep doing this – it always sent up a red flag to me, and no matter how hard I tried I could never overcome my feelings of discontent. I even had friends/customers complain to me that you were too aggressive on the phone with them when they were clearly not interested, and this made me feel embarrassed to have put them in that situation.

I have read a lot of scripts that people use in Mary Kay to recruit and overcome objections, and they are blatantly manipulating people’s emotions. I guess this could be described as just sales techniques, but the fact that it usually results in people putting themselves in debt with an inventory order that they likely won’t be able to sell, and pushes them to do all the things I just mentioned above, is very bothersome to me. It is difficult for me to have to look at people I know as sources of income. And it angers me that these techniques were used on me and I fell for it.

Between looking at all my unsold inventory for months knowing that it would never sell, and getting into debt to buy it when I could not afford to, combined with the knowledge that I would never recruit and was spending much more that I was bringing in, I decided that the only option I had was to sell back to recover as much of my own money as possible before it was too late. I do feel sorry that I will not be able to help my customers out any more, but it is not worth paying off a load of debt for products that will likely sit in my house forever.”

That’s about everything I have to say.

• raisinberry June 26, 2014 at 7:11 am #

This was brilliant. So honest and to the point! It deserves a front page reprint!

You have put into words, what most every consultant feels, and then soon tries to over come and reject in order to continue.

We ALL felt the humiliation of the endless pressure to provide fresh meat that the Director could press into submission to join. We ALL know the way we rationalized inviting people to be our guests, and tried to soften the attack with our own personalities(…she means well…)

We ALL saw the LOAD of product on our shelves and the immediate need to reorder cause we did not have what sold and had too much of what didn’t.

We ALL felt the SQUEEZE of financial pressure and financial rationalization that then occurs and we play in our heads, “you can’t sell from an empty wagon”. In NO UNIVERSE would a store over stock what it has NO IDEA anyone will buy.

Suddenly the light dawns. This whole scheme is a product based pyramid that makes greater sales to its consultants than it ever will to consumers. Then convinces you that all “the fun” needs to be your new lifestyle so don’t you EVER return it all cause you’ll MISS OUT FOREVER!!!

Apparently a $1,000.00 average sale per consultant, per year, is way more profitable than sales to end users. Ya think?

• enorth June 26, 2014 at 10:57 am #

“there are definitely quotas – if you want to remain active, there is a quota. If you want to be a Director, NSD, etc., there are quotas.”

Of course, what they mean is there are no SALES quotas. They purposely leave out the word “sales” when they talk about quotas. Yep, that one is definitely true. There are no sales quotas. Because no one cares if you ever sell a single product. Just keep on ordering.

3. CaliforniaGal June 24, 2014 at 9:52 pm #

Well, gal friends, now ya know why I didn’t get as far as I should have. I was determined to work my business hard and right. I never had anyone order tons of products upfront. I never urged my guys to order just because i needed them to order. I was a great seller, but only a fair recruiter.

If ya are ethical , then ya aren’t going to rise in the ranks. If ya are determined to tell your gals the truth, then it’s pretty much all over for you.
    I wish I had never signed up for Mary Kay. Had I been told the truth, I would never have tried to rise in the ranks. But then, layering the truth is done all of the time. Deception is the name of the game. Well, ladies, this is the truth. For more truth, then keep on reading & get educated!

4. princess lea June 25, 2014 at 12:06 pm #

I remember sitting on the those hard plastic chairs, worrying about what my ‘guests’ were thinking… Worrying if they were having fun, or bored stiff. They were probably worried for the hard pressure recruiting techniques about to be pushed. Why did I get so sucked in? I do know why I never made it through car qualification and DIQ – I was too honest and financially responsible to recruit ghosts and buy my way through the process!