Mary Kay: A Real Job?

This is Mary Kay nsd Gloria Mayfield Banks comparing Mary Kay to a “real job.” Mary Kay isn’t a real job because 99% of the people involved spend money on it instead of getting a paycheck. Because it’s an MLM, the odds of success for the vast majority are miniscule. So they’ll end up spending money instead of making money.

Moving up in Mary Kay is not tied to the mastery of a skill or to how hard you work. It is directly proportionate to whether or not you can “pull inventory.” If you can recruit new victims and get them to place big initial orders, you move up.

And don’t take my word for it. Take the word of the many sales directors and former sales directors here on Pink Truth. They worked damn hard. And didn’t have much to show for it in the end.

Throughout my career I have seen many Consultants come and go because they felt they needed to find a “Real Job.” Why do people think that Mary Kay is NOT a “Real” job? What classifies an opportunity as a “Real” job? Does getting a paycheck with the same number of dollars each pay period classify as a “Real” job? Does working 10-40+ hours, and still making the same amount of money classify?

How about getting up very early, taking a shower and leaving your house every day? What about putting your kids in daycare- does that make it a “Real” job? How about having to schedule vacation time a year in advance? Or having to explain to your supervisor why you need a day off? Maybe that is what makes it a “Real” job. Maybe you need to be working for someone else, have to report to someone else and let him or her decide when you deserve a raise.

Let’s pretend for a moment. What if we apply “Real” job guidelines to your Mary Kay business? Just imagine if you devote 20 hours per week of complete and total focus to doing your Mary Kay job well? What if you set your own goal and always did today’s work today instead of waiting until you felt like it? Imagine the possibilities- if you paid attention to profitability and actually took the steps necessary to promote yourself.

You owe it to yourself to make Mary Kay a “Real” job-even if it’s just part-time.

Why would you give more time and commitment to someone else’s business than you would your own? Do you really want to work for someone else forever?

Wouldn’t you prefer to work 20 hours, but get paid like you worked 40 hours?Would you like to be your own boss? Would you like to plan your own hours each week to work within your family’s schedule? What if you could take an extra day off one
week, then work an extra two hours each day for the next week to make up for it? Do you have this type of freedom with your “Real” job?

If you feel like you have “tried Mary Kay” and it hasn’t worked for you, try asking yourself a few questions.

• If someone with my MK work habits worked for me, would I continue to pay them or reward them?
  • Am I consistent in my efforts?
  • Do I make calls when I need to make them- no matter what?
  • Do I place orders in a timely manner to keep the “store” stocked with the hottest, most up-to-date products?
  • Do I give great customer service-going over and above what the client expects?
  • Do I follow up on all leads and potential recruits quickly and professionally?
  • Do I work with my Director on accountability and turn in my weekly accomplishment sheets?
  • Do I attend trainings and events in my area?

If you have answered any of these questions with a “NO”, perhaps this is an opportunity to change your ways and make new goals for your business this month. Make it a point to treat your Mary Kay business like a “Real” job-you will earn REAL money, REAL cars, REAL prizes and see REAL changes in your life!

Want to make a REAL difference in the lives of women? I believe we can!

11 Responses to Mary Kay: A Real Job?

1. Sapphire November 26, 2014 at 9:06 am #

I don’t care what this woman is spoting. A Real job will give you REAL Bennies like:
    * Paid Vacation Time
    * Paid Sick Time
    * Health Insurance
    * 401K and a chance to be “vested” in the company
    * Overtime
    * Paid Holiday Time off or Double/Triple Time if you HAVE to go in
    * Secruity and a chance of advancement on MERIT

I think it is false/bogus to compare Mary Kay with a REAL job. With a REAL Job, the infrastructure is there and you absolutely know what the day will bring and what you are going to do.

With Mary Kay, You have to build your own infrastructure by duping and convincing people that it is a real job, all the while crossing your fingers that the general public is going to do what you want them to do, including like you enough to either become your customer ore your team member.

If you ask me… It’s better to have a REAL job and work under someone else’s perameters.

2. A Reader November 26, 2014 at 1:26 pm #

I always get a little bent out of shape when I hear that Mary Kay (or any similar company) allows you to set your own hours around your family’s schedule. That’s a lie. Your customer’s set your hours. Make no mistake about that.

Back when Mary Kay got started, most women were stay-at-home moms. You could have your little facial parties while the kids were at school, and then be home for the kids by the time school let out. These days, that doesn’t fly. Your customers almost all work during the day, so the only time you can meet up with them is in the evening or on weekends, at the very times when your family needs you.

Mary Kay does have legitimate jobs, but they’re at corporate level. The IBC is a *customer*, not an employee. Worse, she’s a customer who’s expected to undermine herself financially for the benefit of the company. If Mary Kay were really about empowering women, they’d choose and train their sales force much more selectively, and they’d limit the number of IBCs in any given geographic area.

By the way, I’ve never sold Mary Kay myself. I have no personal axe to grind. I’m not a lazy loser who refused to work her business. I’m a former member of a rather cultish church, who can’t help noticing that Mary Kay uses some of the very same tactics that my so-called church used to use. In a cult, you’ll never be good enough, you’ll never accomplish enough, and your legitimate doubts are treated as a form of spiritual contamination. If the cult shreds your life, the blame is all placed on you. Ladies, please, don’t fall for the lie that you can succeed in a business that SETS YOU UP TO FAIL. It won’t serve you, and it won’t serve your families.

• dhagen02 November 27, 2014 at 7:55 pm #

“Your customer’s set your hours. Make no mistake about that.”

3. Still Breaking The Basic November 26, 2014 at 6:41 pm #

Mary Kay is a real job just like it’s taught at the Harvard Business School.

4. MLM Radar November 26, 2014 at 10:58 pm #

•Do I place orders in a timely manner to keep the “store” stocked with the hottest, most up-to-date products?

Notice the word store is in quotes. Interesting, hmmm?

Think about why you don’t have a “store” full of hot, up-to-date products. Is it because you sold out? Noooo. It’s because that last batch of hot up-to-date products is still sitting unsold on your shelf, only now it’s stale, outdated, and expired.

Maybe it wasn’t such hot stuff after all. What makes you think this next order will make any more money… except for the credit card company. And MK corporate. And your Director, who always gets a commission whether you sell anything or not.

How about saying: When a customer requests something do I place THAT order in a timely manner? Because any other ordering you do, when you have no idea what your customers MIGHT want, if you can even find customers, is just stupid.

5. dhagen02 November 27, 2014 at 8:44 pm #

I like this part…
    [i]How about having to schedule vacation time a year in advance? Or having to explain to your supervisor why you need a day off? Maybe that is what makes it a “Real” job. [/i]

Because I think “How about having to spend your vacation with your family but you are glued to the phone/computer and trying to recruit the maids that work in the hotel so you can lie to the IRS and claim it was a business trip and not actually having any time with your kids on your “vacation”??

6. Tia November 28, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

Uh, Yes. And that sounds lovely, and stable to me. I’d go for that.

7. CaliforniaGal November 28, 2014 at 9:47 pm #

Well, ladies, when I was a new director I worked 50 to 60 hours a week trying to get real recruits to help me make the required production every month. Didn’t matter how hard or how long I worked, I never made Mary Kay pay for me. This is not a real job! Hard work should pay off, and this should be the real red flag that warns off a newby. Mary Kay sounds like fun, easy money. No such luck! You make money if you can sell the dream to someone else. You make money only if that newly buys a tons of stuff that she will likely never sell. Does this really sound like a real job to you?

8. Lady Z November 29, 2014 at 4:43 pm #

Another thought along this line… Mary Kay is claiming you should support “Small Business Saturday” by buying from an IBC.

Give me a frigging break.

• dhagen02 November 29, 2014 at 5:34 pm #

There are no depths to which they will not stoop to are there?

9. pinkless November 30, 2014 at 4:45 pm #

Funny if I want a day off at my corporate job, I put in a request on the time off calendar and if there are hours available to take and I have the pto or vacation time it’s approved. If it’s more than 30 days away, it’s automatically approved by the system. No questions asked and no explanation to my supervisor needed. If you’re taking excessive sick days then it may be an issue.

As far as kids being in daycare, it really isn’t a horrible thing if have a good child care provider. Besides at least with a corporate job, you pick up your kids and go home and that home time is quality time with your kids. My home time is quality time with my son and he knows that. I’m not at mk parties or on the phone or otherwise dealing with my “business”.