You read that right. Here are the “magic” words to help you recruit women into Mary Kay. In other words, these are more scripted phrases intended to hit on some of the most common “hot buttons” for women. Is there anything inherently wrong with that? I suppose not. Sales in different industries are all made with some sort of pitch that shows you how their stuff fits your need.
I just continue to object to the extreme manipulation used in Mary Kay. Yes, I think it’s extreme and I think it’s manipulative. Mary Kay has a real “kick ’em when they’re down” mentality behind everything they do. You know…. she tells you that her husband works long hours and you’re supposed to exploit that. She says she misses adult interaction, and you’ve got to pimp that out for all it’s worth. She mentions being on a tight budget, and you have to make her believe that Mary Kay is the answer to all money troubles.
So here’s the list put together by an ex-director. She put it together when she was at the top of her game, unit clubs and all… and within a year she had disappeared from Mary Kay. I don’t know how magic these words were for her.
“Magic Words” to help you Recruit!
- Are you happy doing what you’re doing .. Do you want to do it the rest of your life?
- You are so sharp .. I would never forgive myself if I passed up the opportunity to give you my business card and tell you about what I do.
- You might think I’m crazy .. Have you ever been approached to teach skin care?
- Mary Kay Cosmetics has asked us to expand in this area .. We are looking for sharp women to teach skin care and I’d love the chance to tell you about how it works. Have you ever tried our wonderful products?
- Excuse me, my business is looking for faces like yours .. I teach skin care for Mary Kay Cosmetics and I’d love to feature your face in my “Before and After portfolio.”
- I couldn’t held but notice how efficient you are .. you’d be so great doing what I do .. I teach skin care with Mary Kay Cosmetics and you are EXACTLY THE KIND OF WOMAN I’M LOOKING FOR!
- Would you consider hearing about what I do? I’d love to sit down over a cup of coffee and tell you why I love my business so much.
- I’ll bet this is not the first time you’ve been approached to become a skin care consultant with Mary Kay Cosmetics is it? You are so attractive (so sharp .. Or whatever it was that drew your attention to her.)
- Excuse me, but I’m certain you must be in the glamour business the way you look .. (wait for her reply.) If she says “No”, tell her she ought to be! Invite her to a model night or feature her in your portfolio. ….and, in closing your recruits!
- You’ll never know if you never try.
- Think how many times in life that we hear people say “Oh how I wish I had,” be an “I’m so glad you did it”
- If I taught you everything I knew, do you think you could learn? (No one like to admit they’re not trainable)
- Look your possible recruit right in the eyes, touch her arm, have a sincere look on your face and say with conviction, “You be great doing what I do .. I look for people of your caliber every day! I’d love to work with you.
- What do you like about the job you currently have? What would you change? (That’s the key question for your direct approach.)
- If you knew you would not fail, would you try Mary Kay? We’ve never had anyone we couldn’t teach!
- We don’t want sales people… just caring women to teach skin care.
- Are you ready???? For a new career??!!
- If something happened to your husband, could you take care of yourself and your family in the style you’re accustomed to?
- How soon do you want to start making money? How long can you afford NOT to make money?
- Do you feel like you need a change in your life? I believe Mary Kay comes into our lives when we need it the most.
- $100 won’t change your standard of living… but it could change your life.
- When faced with any objection, the “Magic Words” are…”That’s exactly why you need Mary Kay” Try in on. “I don’t have any money” *** “That’s exactly why you need Mary Kay!”