I received this email from a relatively new Mary Kay consultant who wanted to share her experience with us.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to send you an e-mail. I have been a Mary Kay consultant for over a year now and can honestly say it was a great decision for me and my family and has more than supplemented our income.
I know what you must be thinking…“oh no not another kaybot.” It is not my intent to insult people on here. I believe in letting people see both sides of things, and hopefully my story can assist the people who come to your website to see if MK is right for them.
I researched for 2 months before I decided to try to sell MK. My research involved websites such as yours The Fraud Files. I read the comments and stories and made a very informed decision to sell the product.
I opted to start off with $600 worth of inventory. I work in a hospital and know a lot of women. Before I ordered my inventory I made gift baskets filled with samplers and catalogs and sent them to every department I work at in the hospital. I got many orders that way, and that gave me an idea of what inventory to order. I was able to sell the initial inventory in less than two months.
I also do show parties and sell online. The five parties I have done in my year of selling MK I have seen turnouts between 2-8 women. My online sales haven’t been bad either. I keep my inventory minimum, stocked with only what my customers order. I only have 16 customers I regularly service. My business is small, however that is my choice. That is all Mary Kay is to me, a secondary income.
I do see some faults with MK, however. My sales director is a prime example of these faults. She is very pushy and we have clashed quite a bit. Every time we get together it’s “rah-rah girls Seminar is coming up and I’m soooooo excited to be in the queen of sharing but for us to move up we must have more wholesale items and start moving it off our shelves! We must Sell-Sell-Sell!!!”
I know you all have heard it before. I actually saw her chastise a woman once in our meeting because this woman had missed a month before due to a family emergency and could not “make production.” (Meaning she couldn’t buy more inventory). Now I only go to unit meetings when new products are coming out, which is about every two months.
Mary Kay Ash started an opportunity that allowed women to put God first, Family second, and Career third. It has turned into a business in which too many people are in it for themselves. With all these “incentives” and “bonuses” and “trips” the MK Corp is turning out more of these directors who do not embody what Mary Kay Ash started. They are not enriching anybody’s lives but their own at the expense of their offspring directors, their star consultants, and consultants.
Really, the money is in just being a consultant and servicing a small clientele. My advice to everyone starting or thinking about starting is the following.
- RESEARCH everything. Go to the blogs and websites and read what other women have experienced.
- TRY the product. MK is the only product that works on my overly sensitive face. That is one reason why it is so easy for me to be enthusiastic about selling it. If it works for you, you can market yourself as proof that the product works.
- BELIEVE in the product. If you think it is crap, then obviously you can’t sell crap.
- START SMALL. Don’t buy into the hype of “you must order thousands of inventory!” Think about who you know, where you work at, where you work-out out, where you socialize at. If at all possible, ask your friends if they would honestly try MK.
- EDUCATE yourself on the products. My director, annoyance aside, knows these products, and she spent hours with me once educating me on them.
- BE YOURSELF! Use your own script and words to sell. You don’t have to sound like a troll hyped up on pink kool-aid to sell MK. You don’t have to turn into overdressed make-up caked frenzy because it’s “the standard”. If I’m doing parties I’m wearing something nice, but definitely not a dress!
- Don’t buy into the HYPE OF MOVING UP! Read the stories on this website to see why.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and for starting this website to educate the public and help women make informed decisions. Good Luck and God Bless.