In Mary Kay, there is a script for everything. If you invite someone to a success meeting or guest event, you better be ready to use a script. These events are held because they increase the recruiting odds dramatically. The NSDs want you to make the most of your opportunity to recruit, so they’ve got all sorts of guidelines for how to act and what to say.
Of course, this is all manipulative. It’s not just a matter of using common sales techniques. In Mary Kay, they take it to a whole new level by keying in on feelings of unhappiness (or even helping create or point out dissatisfaction).
Tips the NSDs give for making a successful guest event (i.e. getting a recruit out of it):
- Be sure to cover what to wear – professional dress (if she comes in jeans & we’re all looking good, she’ll feel out of place.) She is a Special Guest and you will have a Special Gift for her! (Your budget – $2.50 is good.) She can bring girlfriends; maybe one will join with her! Lure guests to an event by telling them you want them to purchase the 3 most expensive items they’ve ever wanted to buy, and offer those items at half-price.
- Give your hottest names & phone numbers to your Director or DIQ so she can leave a fun message for your guest.
- On the way in your car, make it fun! Snacks, some sweet & fun music (find a 50’s station!) Only talk about her (no Mary Kay) and don’t talk about yourself! Ask questions like, “What’s your job? “What activities are your children involved in?” and “What do you do for fun?”
- When you arrive at the Guest Event, sit as close to the front as possible. Put your things down and mingle; do not sit until the program begins. This way she won’t be tired before we even begin. Mingling keeps her energized. Introduce her to as many people as you can – showcase her!
- Be EXCITED; you should be clapping and cheering the loudest because your Guests are watching! They will be excited and sit on the edge of their chairs if YOU are! You should GO WILD! Stand up! When offered the opportunity to become a Consultant, LOOK at your Guest, because she’ll be looking at YOU!
Key phrases to use with your guest at the event:
- You love the product! Sharing your enthusiasm for it will be easy for you!
- Do you realize how much you’ve spent with me this last year – wholesale is always better than retail!
- You owe it to yourself and your family to try!
- There’s never been a better time at Mary Kay!
- You have everything to gain and nothing to lose with the 90% buy-back guarantee!
- What in the world would keep you from at least trying – we would have so much fun together!
- I would love for us to team up together; I will help you – we can be the Dynamic Duo!
And then close the deal. Fill out the agreement BEFORE you leave the event so you have it in writing! Don’t say “agreement” or “contract” because that’s scary. Instead, say:
- It will take two seconds to fill out this sheet; I just need your birth date & SSN.
- For the Starter Kit we can use MC, Visa, Discover or debit card.” (Check or Cash – ONLY if she doesn’t have a card)
- You always need a reason to get the Starter Kit ordered. For example, say, “Great…we can get this emailed before midnight; you’ll have your kit for Easter. That’s perfect – you’ll be seeing your entire family then!” (Figure out the reason why she should get her kit NOW instead of later so you can tell her!)
If she didn’t say yes, but she didn’t say no, then she just needs layering and more info. Get her to watch a video from your director or other recruiting video. On the ride home, say:
- Did you have fun?
- Out of all you saw & heard, what impressed you the most?
- Who did you relate to? (Director, DIQ, Red Jacket)
- In your wildest dreams, if you ever did became a consultant, what would appeal to you?”
- She will answer: extra $$$, flexibility, taxes, kids, fun, outlet, etc. Now you will know what her “Hot Button” is! Relate Mary Kay to her situation. If you’ve done your homework on the ride to the Guest Event, you’ ll know how Mary Kay can fit into her life!
- Tell her to go home and do the Pillow Test: “If you think about MK, dream about it, and get up tomorrow still thinking about it – we need to talk!”
- When you call to see how she slept, use the same phrases from yesterday: “What in the world do you have to lose?”
If she says NO WAY, that’s your worst case scenario, and you should give up. Try to get her to watch a video and ask the same questions on the way home.
- But…. take the opportunity AWAY from her. Ask her to be a Talent Scout for you. Let her know that you have wonderful gifts for anyone who finds you your next team member.
- If she mentions a name, say, “If so-and-so were to want to join, could that change your current interest level from where it is now to a 10 – which means you’re ready for your Starter Kit?”
- Some will stay put, but watch out for the ones that light up! It’s fun to see them gleam and say “It sure would!” She’s recruitable! Get her to have a Class, an Update Makeover, or a Girl’s Night Out!
Ugh, it’s so sick! I had memorized all these scripts. Probably can still recite them .
All that indoctrination. I got sick of hearing the broken record. The scripts are repeated over and over. It is so tiresome.
Mingling will energize her? What is she’s an introvert?
Introverts are NOT energized by mingling. They are exhausted.
Far too true. I’d be stressed out by the drive, 50’s music and a chatterbox constantly bleating at me. I certainly wouldn’t be on the edge of my seat with excitement I’d have zoned out well before that.,
I’m literally exhausted reading this!
So you pay/spend money/sell at a discount to lose a customer.
Again, all about recruiting, no matter what the cost.
“Give your hottest names & phone numbers to your Director or DIQ so she can leave a fun message for your guest.” And so she can recruit them after a decent interval, like 72 hours, because you clearly aren’t sharing the opportunity fast enough.
I was clueless as to the purpose. I thought these guest events were to increase my skills in makeup and skincare application and knowledge. When I found Pink Truth, I learned the true purpose. I’m glad I was oblivious and didn’t recruit my customers.
A special $2.50 gift! That would hook anybody.
“…you will have a Special Gift for her! (Your budget – $2.50 is good.)”
Lololol! To be able to even find some type of item for $2.50, that would not be considered laughable as a “special gift”, you’d have to add another dozen hours of work per week in the (ultimately futile) search for such a unicorn of an item. Doing the rounds of every dollar store in town hunting for this “gift” doesn’t sound like a smart sales- producing activity. Nor does it sound like something most successful, legit small business owners would do.
Step 1: Convince her that she wants to dress up for her benefit , but really so she takes a first step towards conforming with the cult.
Step 2: Trap her in your car (disable the door locks if possible) and manipulate her emotions with fast tempo music to put her in the right mindset for making the stupidest decision of her life.
Step 3: Pretend to actively listen because you care, but in actuality you will be searching for any weaknesses or hurtful situations in her life so you can exploit them and push her later into spending money she doesn’t have. If she doesn’t seem to have any issues, suggest some. She’s pretty much a loser who needs Mary Kay, right?
Step 4: Once you get there, pretend to be incredibly excited about this stupid rah rah event. Scream and yell and cheer. If you get overly excited and smash her nose with your elbow, it’s fine. You have brought your makeup bag. She will instantly get why you were so excited because anybody would be. This is Mary F-ing Kay.
Step 5: Offer her the contract to sign but don’t use the actual term. Just tell her that she is signing an attendance sheet. She probably won’t care that you signed her up without her knowing what she was agreeing too. Besides, most guest books ask for your birthdate and social security number.
Step 6: Before she has a chance to realize what’s going on, tell her to get her credit card out. The confusion and noise will help with the subterfuge. You want her to remain unaware until you’ve completed the transaction. I mean, she probably wouldn’t mind. Who would?
Step 7: When you call her in the morning to ask how she slept, try not to sound too creepy and remember not to ask what she is wearing. If you are going to successfully stalk her, it is crucial not to alarm her early in the process.
Step 8: If she still says no after all of this, clearly you are not working hard enough. What’s wrong with you? These 1980’s scripts work!
One of the biggest red flags I see is asking for someone’s Social Security Number to put on a sheet of paper which in actuality is a Consultant Agreement or contract. There is NO WAY ON EARTH I would EVER give that number to anyone because of identity theft. Talk about false pretenses!! This should be illegal.
I gave my director, Valerie Beck, my social security number and she passed it out to everybody and, I, eventually suffered from identity theft. Valerie Beck began following me around and came into my neighborhood looking for Mary Kay event possibilities. While she was doing that she was telling store owners she was me. When I found out, I visited the stores she went to, showed them my license and told them that I am the real Gina Romano. You should have seen the looks on their faces. It was awful, but I managed to save my reputation in my neighborhood.
What strikes me is how hard you have to work to prove how excited you are to be in Mary Kay. Shouldn’t your enthusiasm flow naturally? I recently took a class to learn a new embroidery style and found out I didn’t like it at all. But the instructor’s obvious love for the art made me willing to give it a try. She didn’t have to amp up her excitement or lure me in with a $2.50 gift.
“On the way in your car, make it fun! Snacks, some sweet & fun music” <~~ just how far are we having to schlep to a MK spiel that we might need snacks?
Also, the use of the word “lure” in these tips is nauseating. And accurate.
There is a post where the writer explains that she was meeting the MK rep for the meeting and drove herself to the place. Can’t remember the scenario exactly but she said kbot was just truly in a tizzy because the writer HAD to be IN KBOT’S CAR at some point, it would seem. I think the kbot drove the writer from where she was parked to about 100 feet away, so officially she had driven her there. So Patient Whisperer – I guess the length of the journey is purely mental for the kbot lololol. Don’t recall if the writer received snacks!
Actually, the way you are supposed to ‘love bomb’ the new attendee at a guest event reminds me of the time a friend asked me to visit her (what she called a church–I and many others consider it a cult) and I was ‘love bombed’. But at least I didn’t have to buy any cosmetics there!
Be EXCITED; you should be clapping and cheering the loudest because your Guests are watching! They will be excited and sit on the edge of their chairs if YOU are! You should GO WILD! Stand up! When offered the opportunity to become a Consultant, LOOK at your Guest, because she’ll be looking at YOU!
She will be LOOKING at you and think that you’ve lost your mind!
You should see the latest scripts! New spa treatment and. . . . Wait for it . . Cucumber slices for your eyes!! Pushing the bio cellulose as a gift and the facial peel. Sigh
Constant yakking, 50’s music, pressure to sign up, giving away identity-theft-able information? Sounds like pure hell. No, I’d rather spend my day hiding under the bed.