Every month Mary Kay’s truth is published in black and white. It’s called Applause Magazine. Mary Kay publishes the top earners and recruiters in the U.S. because the bragging rights help recruit more people and get consultants and directors to order more to get the recognition.
Yet if you dig into the numbers and look at things over time, you see how the business in the United States has been shrinking for more than a decade. Back when Pink Truth started there were 14,000 directors and 700,000 consultants. Today there are only 9,000 sales directors and we can estimate that there are about 450,000 consultants. (Don’t worry about the health of the company overall, though. China is a huge market that Mary Kay is exploiting for tons of profits.)
The November issue of Applause has the results for July 2019, and the numbers are interesting. BestDecision found these gems for us:
- Only 87 NSDs had $10,000 or more in gross commissions in July.
- Only 2 units nationwide added 20 or more new Consultants in July.
- No one in the entire company had a unit adding 21 or more new unit members.
- Only 1 person in the entire company finished a Grand Achiever car in July.
- Included in the Top 500 units for retail production is a unit that only did $24,718. Without counting in PCP or bonus credits, that’s only about $12,000 wholesale production.
- Director commissions in the Top 500 of the entire company included $3,940, which means that 8,500 sales directors made less than $3,940 in commissions
- No Director had gross commissions over $11,354 in July.
- Leadership Conference attendance has dropped so low they’re only having 1 session with the 4 Seminar divisions and Canada combined.
July is always the lowest month for Mary Kay. Everyone is begging for orders in June to “meet goals” for Seminar, so there is much lower ordering in July. But these numbers are still really anemic.