It’s been a long time since we’ve looked at star consultant prizes and exactly what you’re getting for your money. Mary Kay rewards ordering with prizes. Those in the MK cult will tell you that this is just the “extra” that the company gives as a thank you. The REAL reward is selling the product and making the profit. (Funny, the company doesn’t ever reward actual sales. They only reward consultants ordering products.)
Take a look at the items below. The numbers at each level represent the wholesale that must be ordered by the consultant during the quarter in order to qualify to get a prize at that level. So “emerald 3600” means the consultant must order $3,600 wholesale ($7,200 retail value) of product to get to that prize level.
It’s easy to see how much some of these items cost. Below is the retail value I’ve found online…. the amount you’d have to pay from a typical retail outlet to get the item. You better believe that MK is getting the items at a fraction of that, probably less than half. But the bigger point is that many recruiters and sales directors will push consultants to get to the “next level”… but these prizes are wroth a tiny amount compared to the money that must be spent on products that will likely never be sold.
- $9,600 – Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer – $400
- $7,800 – Sony Wireless Bluetooth Speaker – $130
- $6,000 – Ted Baker Rolling Luggage – $150
- $4,800 – JA Henckels Knife Block Set – $107
- $3,600 – Le Creuset Stoneware – $100
- $3,000 – Zwilling Sorrento Coffee Cups – $120
- $2,400 Ruby – RJ Graziano Necklace and Earrings -$60
- $1,800 Sapphire – Holiday Wreath – free grade school craft project