Here at Pink Truth, we’re well aware that Mary Kay is an MLM (multi-level marketing scam, also known as a pyramid scheme). But Mary Kay consultants and directors go through all kinds of mental gymnastics (and outright lies) to convince themselves and recruits that MK is most definitely NOT an MLM.
Check out some of the falsehoods being perpetuated in this Facebook thread:
- It’s “dual marketing” because you can pass up your recruiter
- “We don’t wait on anybody to give us a check” (Huh? What about those commission checks you wait for?)
- We are studied each year by Harvard Business School
- It’s not a pyramid scheme because you can surpass your recruiter
- You don’t need to build a team to make money
- Although recruiting salespeople is crucial to other Multi Level Marketing companies, Mary Kay consultants can still make money without recruiting others (I wonder if she’s noticed how hard MK pushes recruiting because it’s crucial to the company’s survival?)
- Every MK consultant, despite their level, can earn the exact same profit on their sales (I guess she’s not aware that directors are paid commissions on their own orders from the company, so they effectively make more profit on their product sales.)
- We make money in two ways and it never comes from team members’ pockets (Oh yes it does. The recruiter’s commission check comes from the team member’s pocket when she purchases products from MK.
- Mary Kay’s definition from Legal Ease doesn’t say MK isn’t MLM. It just says not to use the term because different people define it in different ways. LOL
- We don’t have tiers and people “above or under us” (May I introduce you to your senior consultant, team leader, DIQ, director, senior director, national sales director?)