104 Ways to Humiliate Yourself in Mary Kay
This is what masquerades as “training” in Mary Kay. Unfortunately no amount of clever (or in this case, not-so-clever) ideas will get women to book and hold Mary Kay skin care classes with you. Sure, these are ways to run into more women, but they’re mostly silly and insincere. They create excuses for you to talk to women who are unlikely to want to participate.
104 BOOKING IDEAS by Deanna Spillman
Okay…here is your solution for any booking problem you may have. Booking really is an attitude. If you think you can – you can. If you think you can’t – you won’t.
1. Friends, relatives, neighbors, people you work with, people you once worked with, former classmates, people from your husband’s job or organizations, recreation contacts – this is a way to get started. Use Booking Dialogue “How to Book Your 1st Eight Classes.”
2. Promotion – Dialogue “How to Book Your 1st Eight Classes.” Change to say you are getting a promotion to Star Consultant, Star Recruiter, Team Leader, etc. Use with family, friends, former hostess, etc.
3. Portfolio – One of the most successful ways to book appointments. All women love to be a model.
4. Second Facials – to everyone who buys the basic set.
5. To Win – for those customers who couldn’t afford the entire product they wanted.
6. Selective Approach – people you just like.
7. Hostess Contest – Rebook hostess – having a contest and just thought about you.
8. Tentative Date Approach – use when a hostess is unsure of the date.
9. Facial Boxes – put in businesses, doctor’s office, restaurants, florist, cleaners, dress shops, etc.
10. People in your neighborhood or apartment complexes. Send a flier or use the Introduce Yourself Letter from the Company.
11. Telephone Book – use a survey.
12. Welcome Wagon, New Comers to church or neighborhood.
13. Beauty Books – Leave everywhere – Doctor’s/Dentist’s offices, beauty shops, laundry mats, store bulletin boards, reception areas, large buildings’ bathrooms, mall bathrooms, restaurants, etc.
14. Warm Chatter – Use a survey or portfolio booking approach.
15. Book to look – have basket in center of table and when they book, they get to draw for an extra hostess gift.
17. Glamour Classes – invite preferred customers to your home where they can learn a new glamour look. Great to do when we have new glamour items in the fall and spring.
18. People who have postponed or canceled.
19. Mother’s Day Class – all of your customers for a Mother’s Day Gift from you.
20. Birthday Class – all of your customers who have a birthday in the same month.
21. Clubs, Organizations, Drill Teams, Cosmetology Classes, Home Economics Classes, Physical Education Classes – offer to do a special talk, do two models, get names of everyone attending and follow-up for individual consultations.
22. 1/2 Price Sale – for anyone who didn’t buy the basic set. Call and offer basic set at half price if they share a facial with three ladies you haven’t facialed.
23. Offer a special gift for having 6 people at a skin care class.
24. Mini Class – use these words when someone says they don’t want to invite friends over for a skin care class. Have them only invite 2 friends for a mini class.
25. Business Cards – spray with cologne and insert when mailing a bill, making a bank deposit, giving a check, paying with cash or a credit card.
26. Wear Mary Kay Pin Upside Down – people will tell you that it is upside down. Thank them for telling you and offer to give them a free facial for being so nice.
27. Give your hostess an extra special gift if she has three bookings before you arrive to do her class.
28. Wedding Parties – look in the local newspaper and call the brides from engagement announcements and offer to do their wedding party.
29. New Mothers – look in the local newspaper and call the new mothers and offer to do a free makeover.
30. Contact Bridal Shoppes, Photography Studios, Catering Services – offer to be a part of their wedding or advertising package.
31. Fun Packages – make up packages of product or use a beauty book and have special customers sell a certain product for you. Example: sell 6 lip-glosses – get one free. This approach is great for teenagers.
32. Surveys – everyone loves to give their opinion. Do in the mall, use your neighborhood directory, church directory, or go to the library and use the Criss-Cross Directory that has a list of all the people living on each street in the city.
33. Nail Care, Boutique, or Gift Classes – have special classes with your customers or your potential customers where you just show nail care, body care, hair care, or fragrance items.
34. Free Basic – give a free basic to a customer if she will have three classes within a two-week period with four fresh faces at each class.
35. Booking Game – use at classes. While the masque is drying have them write down the names of their friends and phone numbers for referrals for booking. Give a small prize for the most names. Example: an eyebrow brush.
36. Penny Booking Idea – use at classes. Put a penny on each tray. When the customer asks about the penny explain that when they start with at least the basic set they can use their penny to purchase one item when they share their second facial with three friends.
37. Promotions or Transfers – watch newspaper for ladies who receive a promotion or transfer. Call them and congratulate them. Offer them a free facial.
38. Teachers of Your Children – Don’t forget to do something nice for them.
39. Chamber of Commerce – most cities have a book you can buy with a list of all clubs and organizations. Follow up by calling the program or social chairman requesting the opportunity to teach skin care at one of their meetings or coffees. Tell them there will be no sales that day.
40. Ministers – these people know women who may need some help with self esteem and also who may need to work.
41. Men’s Wives and Girlfriends – think of the men you come in contact with each day – insurance men, repairmen, husband’s friends, postman, UPS man, etc. also men with whom you work. They all have wives or female friends. Don’t forget them.
42. While vacationing – remember we have no territories. Always take your case and mirrors with you on trips. You can get lots of business and recruits. It is relaxing, fun and deductible.
43. Nursing Homes – these people need attention and can become your best customers. They will love it.
44. Business, Modeling, or Beauty Schools – wonderful source for skin care and glamour presentation.
45. Hotel, Motel and Restaurant Employees – contact the manager. They love for their employees to look their best.
46. Conventions – ever think about what the wives have to do at conventions? Find out who the manger is of the hotel for these events and you can often have a room to give facials to the ladies.
47. Referrals – always ask for referrals from each person you come into contact with. Make this a habit.
48. Fashion Shows – offer to do the models or set up a booth and offer a drawing.
49. Miss Teen Contest, pageants, etc. – offer to do a model or set up a booth and offer a drawing.
50. Drama and Theater Groups – these people must have makeup. 51. Tupperware, Home Interior Sales People – they like to look their best and may share their names.
52. Preprofiled Guest List – any guest you have preprofiled that was unable to attend a class.
53. Sample Booking – staple samples to your business cards. When you meet someone you would like to book – tell her you’re doing a “customer acceptance survey” and would they test your product for 24 hours. Then call them back and ask how they liked the product and ask for her opinion of our skin care and book her a skin care consultation.
54. Halloween Booking – give out a small facial certificate to all the children offering their mother a free facial.
55. Ads – place small company-approved ad in your church, subdivision, or local newspapers. (Check with your Director for approved advertising).
56. Bookstore Booking – call bookstore and offer to do a promotion on Mary Kay’s books by setting up a table and displaying their books.
57. Beauty Salons – call and offer to do facials on their customers.
58. Reorder Bookings – offer customer a chance to win their reorder free by booking a class.
59. Fundraising Groups – Women’s Clubs, Churches, etc. – offer a percentage of sales for their great project. Example: let them sell lip-gloss, sunscreen, etc. and give them 25% to 30% of everything they sell.
60. Photo Mat Sales People – drive up and look at photo albums for your portfolios. Tell them what it is for. Offer before and after makeover for her.
61. Telephone Solicitors – listen to her sales presentations, decline politely, tell her you are in a contest to give away free makeovers to the next 10 women you talk with and she is a lucky winner.
62. Anyone who sells you something – your way of thanking them for being so nice.
63. Booths – you can set up booths at arts and craft festivals, bridal shows, or any place you can display your product. Remember you are not allowed to sell from a booth. Only take booking leads.
64. $ In Product Credit/Customers
65. Sororities and Frats – Contact College Sororities and Frats
66. Graduates – Schools, Back to School
67. Lip on Card – See Sheet on Demo Lip color On Your Business Card
68. Portfolio – Before/After Pictures
69. Hot Lip Parties – Model Class At Meeting
70. Glamour Shops – Introduce New Spring/Fall Colors
71. Scavenger Hunt
72. Farm System
73. Silent Shows – Fun Packets
74. Preferred Hostesses – 20 Customers, 3 Shows/Yr., Priority Seating, 50% Off Fragrances
75. Facial Thru Mail – Send Foil Samplers with Beauty Book to try for several days, then call back!
76. Mother/Daughter – Mother/Daughter Before and After Pictures
77. Holiday Glamour – Using Special Holiday looks
78. Nails – 85% Use It – Nail Care Class
79. Monday Night Model – Earrings as gift from Director
80. Season’s Best – 1 Product Highlighted.
81. Gift Certificates for Makeover/Holidays.
82. Color logic – Using Colorselect to book second facials.
83. Pool Party – summer looks around a child’s pool.
84. Cards with Husbands – Tips – When husband goes out for lunch; he leaves your business card with his tip.
85. Gift Giving Service – Executive Shopping Letter.
86. Open House – Send out invitations, make appointments.
87. College Dorms and High Schools – business clubs, DECA.
88. Country Clubs – Program for Women’s Club that meet there, or program for the women are members.
89. Anniversaries – Offer to do makeover before dinner.
90. Sun Care Shows – skin wellness program with slides and commentary.
91. Cold Weather Shows – Time to reprofile for winter.
92. Day Care Centers
93. Lunchtime Facials
94. Paper Clip on Profile – 6 Months – Facial, Nail Care, Body Care, Foot Clinic, New Colors
95. Take Hand Facial – Satin Hands
96. Model of the Month – Before and after pictures taken with own camera. At end of month, one is chosen and receives a gift.
97. Fragrance Clinic – Show the layering of fragrances.
98. Brush Clinic – how to use brushes.
99. Inside Beauty – Pick one look out of book and promote for a month.
100. Eye Clinic – Do eye looks on half of face only.
101. Glamour Clinic – for women who wear glasses.
102. Oily Skin Clinic – Teach “How To” for oily skin customers, skin supplements.
103. Dry Skin Clinic – Teach “How To” for dry skin customers, skin supplements.
104. OPEN YOUR MOUTH – JUST ASK!