Mary Kay Cosmetics is always helping its independent sales directors to recruit and retain beauty consultants. Most important, of course, is getting them to purchase inventory and not send it back under the product repurchase option! Here’s a script to help.
Mary Kay Inc. offers ideas to help consultants and recruiters meet their goals, and this one is called “Sample Conversations.” (Yes! This is directly from corporate!)
Essentially, it is a script to manipulate the consultants into sticking with MK not returning inventory by giving false hopes. No matter what the concern the consultant has, overcome it at all costs. If that means lying about how good you think she’ll be at selling, do it. If it means lying about how much is usually sold at Mary kay parties, do it. Don’t hold back. You owe it to her to lead her down the Mary kay path no matter what.
And Mary Kay Inc. will help you do it with these scripts:
Suggested Sample Conversations
The Suggested Sample Conversations below can help you determine how you might want to start a conversation with a unit member about moving up the career path, working her Mary Kay business, or achieving a goal. If you are familiar with analyzing behavior types using DiSC®, you can match the Suggested Sample Conversation with the behavior type of your unit member using the legend on this page. You will see icons that will relate behavior types to suggested sample conversations. The legend on this page will help
The conversations themselves go something like this…
Our research shows that by week six of starting her Mary Kay business, a new Independent Beauty Consultant’s enthusiasm may begin to wane and mounting feelings of doubt may hamper her productivity. She may have run out of family and friends to introduce the product and opportunity to, and may appreciate some attention and guidance. This is an important time to focus on the new Beauty Consultant’s concerns and thoughtfully respond. Here’s a way you might begin this conversation:
“Hi, (name). This is (your name). I was just calling to say hello and check in on you to see if you needed anything or any help?
You may want to provide specific questions; otherwise, the Beauty Consultant may respond that everything is fine. Here are some suggested questions if probing is needed:
Suggested questions if probing needed:
* Tell me what you are most excited about!
* How can I help you?
* Would you like some help prioritizing?
* Tell me about what’s working and what’s not.
If she expresses concern over expenses/cash flow…
- I can totally understand your concerns about money, but I truly believe you are capable of getting anything you want from your Mary Kay career. It all starts with getting out there and booking appointments. I’ll be happy to help you perfect your booking techniques so you can start seeing some immediate income.
- I can totally understand your concerns about money, but let me assure you that you are doing great so far! You have made a courageous investment in your dreams, and I know you can do it. Why not use your natural enthusiasm to book some selling appointments? You never know – a $1,000 week or your next team member could be right around the corner!
- I can totally understand your concerns about money, but let me assure you that you are doing great so far. You have made a courageous investment in your family’s future, and I know you can do it. A Mary Kay business offers so many benefits for you and your family, and I want to help you realize all of them.
- I can totally understand your concerns about money, but let me assure you that you are right on course. At a time like this, Mary Kay always recommended holding a skin care class. Everything starts there. Let’s get together, and I will share with you some of my most effective booking techniques so we can get some classes on your books for next week!
If she expresses concern over rejection/running out of immediate circle prospects…
- I know you are a go-getter and that success is the only option for you. It may seem like you’ve talked to everyone you know, but don’t stop now. If you think of everyone you meet in a week, I’m sure you’ll see that there are many women out there just waiting to hear about Mary Kay from you. And remember, I’m here to support you any way I can!
- Every time I think of you, I think about how successful you can be! You may feel like you’ve talked to everyone you know, but with your sparkling personality, I’m sure you easily can find plenty of new prospective customers and team members! Think of everyone you meet in a week – doing errands, at the kids’ school, the salon, church – and in no time your datebook will be full and your team will be growing!
- I’m sure your family and friends have been very supportive of you, but they are just the beginning. To expand your business and reach your goals, you’ll want to move outside of your close circle. Why don’t you ask your family and friends to give you referrals? If you’d like, you also can spend a day with me to get some tips on telling the Mary Kay story and working with customers.
- It may seem as if you’ve asked everyone you know, but let’s make sure you actually have! Let’s sit down together and make a list of everyone you encounter in a week — think of church, errands, school, sporting events, beauty salon, spouse’s colleagues . . . the list goes on. We can think outside your most immediate circle to expand your business in ways you never even imagined. If you’d like, you can spend a day with me just to get some tips on telling the Mary Kay story and working with customers.
If she expresses concern over frustration/time management…
- I can tell you like to be on top of things and it can be frustrating when things don’t go the way you want. But I truly believe you will be successful, and one way you can get there is to follow Mary Kay’s advice to plan your work and work your plan. I believe in you and I know you can do it.
- You are such a people-pleaser that I know it seems hard sometimes to balance it all. You have made great progress in your business and I’m extremely proud of you. I see great things in your future and I want to help you achieve them! I’ve found the best way to keep everyone happy is to follow Mary Kay’s advice to plan your work and work your plan. This way, you have a path to success.
- You are working so hard and I’m sure your family is proud of your efforts. I know sometimes you feel pulled in many different directions, but think about all of the benefits this business can provide for you and your family, like the flexibility to be home when you want to be. Let’s set a time to go over your weekly plan sheet so you can block your time according to your priorities.
- You have made such great progress in your business and so quickly! I’m extremely proud of you. It all may seem a bit overwhelming right now, but never lose sight of your goal. You are building real momentum, and I know you will get there. I have found that planning makes all the difference, so let’s set a time to go over your weekly plan sheet and block your time before your week goes crazy.
You likely have many great ideas about what to say to the Independent Beauty Consultants who are in any of these situations. These are just some additional ideas for what you might say. Feel free to use these suggested dialogues as you see fit, or modify them to meet your own style and/or needs.