Count the Mary Kay Lies
Mary Kay nsd Krista Neal Warner has a training document on her area website called “Don’t Say No Until You Know About Mary Kay Inc.” Except the document is filled with lies. They range from the typical lies about Mary Kay being the best selling brand, to fabricated numbers about how much consultants and directors make. Some of the more outrageous ones include:
- Mary Kay is #1 in brand loyalty among customers who buy skin care products. Three out of five women will buy the product after being introduced to it. It is estimated that 80% will continue to use the Skin Care after they have been introduced to the product
- Some 30 million consumers purchase approximately 200 million Mary Kay products each year.
- Mary Kay is the #1 best selling brand skin care in the U.S. for the 8th year in a row!
- Mary Kay returns 37% of her dollar to Consultants and Directors in the way of bonuses and incentive programs. In 2000 this amount equated to over $400 million.
- Fortune Magazine stated that one-year in Mary Kay was equal to $4,500 worth of training.
- According to the Wall Street Journal, there are more women in Mary Kay who earn over $100,000 a year than any other company in the world today. We have developed more millionaires than any other company in the world.
- Mary Kay training classes are equal to college courses in marketing, communications, personnel, and small business management. Training is free and local.
- Approximately 66% of all consultants work a full-time job and work Mary Kay part-time. They learn the business, build a customer base, and may begin building a team to manage. They may quit their full-time jobs when they are making more money in Mary Kay.
- It is estimated that more women have earned over $1 million from their Mary Kay careers than at any other company in the world.
- Mary Kay is #4 in Internet Retail Sales in the World!
- Mary Kay’s marketing plan is taught at the Harvard School of Business and several other major universities.
- Average ANNUAL income for management positions in Mary Kay: Grand Achiever – $19,000, Sales Director – $50,000, Senior Sale Director – $75,000, Exec. Senior Sales Director – $100,000, National Sales Director – $250,000
The lies about the earnings are so concerning because the company doesn’t have any idea how much people actually make. They know it’s not close to those figures, but beyond that, they just don’t have the tax returns of consultants and directors so they can’t know how much they make. And the truth is that most people lose money in multi-level marketing.