This week’s lie isn’t specific to Mary Kay. It’s for all multi-level marketing companies (MLMs) and pyramid schemes like Mary Kay, Arbonne, Amway, Usana, etc. This comes from the Direct Selling Association, the bogus member-run organization that seeks to keep these pyramid schemes operating, even when violating the law.
Research shows some of the most popular reasons people choose direct selling are:
- Direct selling is a good way to meet and socialize with people.
- Direct selling offers flexible work schedules.
- Direct selling is a good way to earn extra income.
- Direct selling is a good way to own a business.
- Earnings are in proportion to efforts.
My favorite is “earnings are in proportion to efforts.” Uh, not quite. Check out the 40,000 Mary Kay consultants who quit every month. Their lack of earnings is because they didn’t try?